Friday, February 4, 2011

Organic on a budget

I have kicked around the idea of going organic but I always had the idea that it was too expensive and I would not be able to have normal foods.  Not only can you have your comfort foods but you can make them healthier and tastier.  The more I research, the more I know ORGANIC is the way for me!  All the nutrients food has to offer without the chemicals.  Mainly the long term health benefits by eating clean, minimally processed, local foods.


My husband and I joined Lakewinds Co-op several years back but never stuck to a truly healthy diet until the fall of 2010.  I decided, after much reading and research, that food is just as important as anything else you put in your body.  I also wanted to make sure we were setting a good example for our daughter as she started eating solid foods.

My goal for 2011 is to see if I can spend only $125.00 each week on organic groceries for my family of three.  So far it has been working out.  Some ways of accomplishing this budget start with cleaning out your fridge, freezer, and pantry.  Most of us overbuy and waste a lot of food so making a budget really makes you think about each choice (not to mention organic/natural food are more expensive-sticker shock quickly sets in). 

After our vacation in Grand Cayman, where food was 25% more expensive, it got us to thinking how good we really have it in the States.  There is also a myth that it costs more to eat healthy but that is just not true.  Once you put down the boxes and processed foods, you really can eat healthy AND ORGANIC on a budget.  It really comes down to being a little organized and a little less lazy (at least in my case!).

Here is how much I spend in each category:  Dairy $30, Meat $25, Produce $25, Dry goods/snacks $30, Misc $15

Some strategies we have implemented to be healthier include:
1.  Cutting down the amount of dairy we eat (buy organic and RAW where possible)
2.  Lean proteins such as chicken,fish, turkey (natural, no-antibiotics/hormones)
3.  More fruits and veggies (shoot for 4 different veggies, 3 fruits each week); get at least one leafy green vegetable as well as a head of lettuce for lunch or light meals
4.  More beans and legumes (there are so many health benefits including dietary fiber, protein, and a source of many vital nutrients); it is easy to mix these in with rice or sprinkle on any salad
5.  Making more homemade - I make my own wheat bread, hummus, sauces,etc.  Anything that would normally cost a  lot and have tons of unwanted ingredients and preservatives
6.  Eliminating sugars and refined sugars - we don't drink soda or eat much white flour; grains should be "whole" wheat, oats, etc.  I do make the occasional cookie or baked good.
7.  Find healthier snacks- veggies, fruits, hummus dip, nuts/seeds, popcorn instead of chips & cookies
8.  Eat appropriate portion sizes with smaller meals and snacks spread throughout the day

1 comment:

  1. Yay! I'm so glad you are posting this Paula - thank you! I will put your link on my website : )

    ReplyDelete