Thursday, February 24, 2011

Vitamin D3

Supplements had never been a part of my daily routine until recently.  I refused to accept the fact that feeling lethargic and run down all the time was simply what happens when you get older and are always busy.  I started doing a lot of reading on vitamins and minerals that are essential to your overall health.  I was amazed at the information I found about Vitamin D3.  If you don't take anything else daily consider this supplement.

Check out the following article to see all the amazing benefits. 
http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2008/12/27/important-vitamin-d-update.aspx

Check out this video lecture for in-depth info:

http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2008/12/16/my-one-hour-vitamin-d-lecture-to-clear-up-all-your-confusion-on-this-vital-nutrient.aspx

I decided to take Dr. Mercola's advice so I wasn't guessing at the amount of D3 to take.  In January, I went to a doctor and had a simple blood test done to determine any deficiencies of vital nutrients since I had not done this in years.  All my levels were good except my Vitamin D level was low as I had suspected.  I was at 29 ng/ml.  As you can see in the first article, my levels should be 50-70 ng/ml for optimal health.  My doctor increased my intake from 1,000 iu per day to 5,000 iu per day.  You do need to get your blood tested periodically to make sure you are not overdosing and/or are taking the correct dosage.  The other great thing is this supplement is inexpensive and you can get them anywhere (just make sure it's Vitamin D3 not D2).

I felt that my immune system was operating poorly and I was sick all winter, every winter.  This winter I have been taking D3 and Vitamin C and have yet to get a cold or flu.  I have definitely fought off about 4 colds by mega dosing (about 1,000 mg of Vitamin C a day) plus an extra 2,000 iu of Vitamin D.  Not to say this is the answer or the answer for everyone, however, for me it is part of the combination along with diet and exercise that has made me healthier.  I feel more energetic and happier (it seems that all the little ailments are gone and my body systems work better).

I hope you give this topic some time and thought!

2 comments:

  1. My doctor also put me on Vit D3 because my levels were low. Once I started telling people I was taking it, I got a lot of responses from people that swear by it and how they haven't gotten sick since taking it. I stopped taking it a few months back and really need to start again!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I finally put my pills in a weekly pill box so I cannot forget!

    ReplyDelete